27/03/2011

A walk

We've been having some wonderful spring weather here in the UK and yesterday I took a rest from FAILURE and took myself out in the fresh air to blow away the cobwebs!!! I took the bus to Wembury where there is a rather nice National Trust cafe - I treated myself to a coffee and read the Saturday morning paper - I bought one of their delicious Devon pasties (they are slightly different to the famous Cornish pasty and if you find yourself in Devon then woe betide you if you don't call it by it's proper name - a Devon pasty!) They kindly wrapped it in foil to keep it warm - and off I set to walk back to Plymouth along the South West Coastal footpath - around 7 miles. I rambled along and ate my pasty on a pretty beach watching a hazy sea. Then a little bit of failure happened!! I failed to see the footpath sign veering off to the right to avoid the military zone and ended up at Fort Bovisand - it was a lucky failure as I took these photographs of the windows in the fort.


There was also some wonderful rust and weathered wood!




Thank goodness I'd taken my camera but in any case I will make another visit during the summer months. I had thought that the Fort was part of the 2nd World War defense as this coastline is scattered with them but it turns out it was built in the 1800's as a defense against a French invasion! I arrived home tired and took a long soak in a hot bath - It had been a good day and I felt very refreshed and alive!
Today the sun is still shining and I have some pottering jobs to do - tomorrow it's back in the print room to finish my Failure cover for the book I'm making.


3 comments:

lynne h said...

wow, the 2nd pic from the bottom. exquisite... xo

Anonymous said...

so sad to hear yo lost one of those earrings - they looked superb on you.

There may be a remedy -

Dinosaur designs has an outlet store where they sell old stock.

Maybe if you want, send a pic of the remaining one and I can see if they have it. it will be much cheaper than what you paid for it retail.
I love an excuse to go to the outlet store!

Anonymous said...

I know that part of the coastline well and how fortunate to find all that rusting decay on your detour!