20/01/2016

Carborundum and collagraphs

 I have been at Mary Gillett's collagraph workshop over the weekend. I was so busy over the 2 days that I completely forgot to take any photographs of progress - very remiss of me! So I've had a day in my own studio making some more tester plates and pressing the prints that I did on the workshop and taking a few photos of the process.
Although I made lots of collagraphs during my MA I always used plant material and polyfilla so I've been keen to try other methods of making the plates. I used carborundum and tile cement on these small experimental plates - I found it quite difficult to get the effect I wanted. There are so many different ways to use carborundum so I made the plate below last night as a guide for future plates. The next stage will be to use the new methods along with the plant material. 
Carborundum tester plate 

Mountboard base with first stage of tile cement 

Plywood base with tile cement and second stage of carborundum 

Various small experimental plates 
Print using 6-8 layers of PVA over solid carborundum
I also made an aluminum plate covered with parcel tape, drafting tape and sellotape and then burnt with a blowtorch - this is great fun and totally beyond any control as the plastic under heat just does it's own thing. I printed it in black and then adding 2 colours and using the viscosity relief printing method 
Print from aluminum plate 



Adding relief colour 
Printed in black intaglio and 2 colour viscosity relief 

Now I need to do some more printing which I can't do at home as I don't have a press unfortunately. 

1 comment:

--R4lD0N T3CH-- said...

WAW! I Liked !!!! Nice blog!